Morgan Evens 4My name is Morgan Evans, and at the age of 14 I had my first seizure. They sent me to a neurologist in Greenville, and that’s how I found out I have epilepsy. I started having random seizures after that. They put me on a lot of medications and did many tests. They were trying to see what was causing them.

Throughout the years, the seizures changed. I could tell when a seizure was coming. It was a weird feeling in my head just telling me or letting me know what was about to happen. That lasted for about 6 months. Then I would have a seizure and not realize it until I woke up. I also had very dangerous drop seizures that would come out of nowhere.

In high school I played volleyball and softball. I would randomly just fall and have one and I ended up realizing that after seizing, I couldn’t speak for at least 5 minutes. The coach kept on asking me if I was ok but I couldn’t reply so they thought I was going to have another one.

After Greenville I ended up in UNC Hospital, I stayed in the hospital doing EEGs and MRIs. They sent me to Boston to get a new MRI called MEG in January. They actually took me off my medication so the doctor could see my seizures so he could examine it.

I ending up being in the hospital for at least a week many times. They were still examining me so they could do a procedure or anything to help me get my life back in order.

Morgan Evens 1In August of 2015, I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I had 4 brains surgeries and it broke my heart because they told me that they had to shave my head. One surgery I had was called a craniotomy, in which they basically opened my skull and removed a bone to do it, just so they take a look and see if they could fix the place the seizure was coming from.

Sadly, they could not fix it. They made me take one test to see if they could hopefully find the spot in my brain to cut off, which is called mapping. They put probes on my brain and basically controlled my brain. They ended up finding a spot but then told me they couldn’t operate because an operation in that area could easily damage my brain.

Morgan Evens 2At the end of all these surgeries, they ended putting a NueroPace inside my brain and placed it in the spot where my seizures were coming from. If anything happens, the NueroPace is supposed to shock it without me feeling anything. I have to use a remote looking device called a wand. It’s connected to a computer and I have to use it every night. I put the wand up to the NueroPace so it can gather all the information in my brain that happened that day and then connect it to the internet so I can synchronize it to their computer. I also have a magnet that a carry around in my purse so if I have a small “break-through” seizure, I to have just take the magnet and brush it across my head and when I wand my head at night, they can tell what happened.

Morgan Evens 3Since I have had the NueroPace, I don’t have drops seizures anymore. Instead, I have what are called break-through seizures, which are caused by my medication. They can’t take me off my medication so hopefully this NueroPace will cure the issue. Currently, I still have the break-through seizures, but they are nowhere near the same as they used to be. Hopefully one day it will all go away and I won’t have to worry about anything!